In this blog, we will discuss how the combination of ITIL and ISO 20000 being implemented in your business could lead to increased organizational success and setting your company up for greater income. Yes, I did say that your company can be better and earn more, so hopefully I have your attention.
ITIL is your foundation
ITIL, which stands for IT Infrastructure Library, is essential in laying the foundation for ISO 20000, therefore, we will start here. ITIL is a framework, comprised of best practices for managing an IT service management (ITSM) system, and is internationally employed. ITIL focuses on bringing IT services and business requirements into alignment. In other words, the framework acts as a guideline for companies on how to govern their IT operations, so it can properly support the organization’s business processes (customer service, product development, research & development, finances, management, etc.).
ITIL helps to mitigate problems related to IT governance by assisting companies in developing a clear strategy for their business processes, determining areas of weakness or potential vulnerability, subsequently enhancing the overall proficiency of the company’s operations.
ISO 20000 first came onto the scene in 2005 and the latest version was released in 2011. So unlike ITIL, which is a framework for people to apply in their business, ISO 20000 is a certification that must be achieved. ISO 20000 is a certification awarded to companies that have been able to successfully implement the requirements of this standard in their IT services; and acts as a representation of the standards that the organization holds themselves to, concerning their IT operations.
ISO 20000 was built in close alignment with the best practices outlined in ITIL, so it’s a good idea for any company looking to receive their ISO 20000 certification to begin by ensuring they are following the recommendations outlined in ITIL.
An ISO 20000 certification can benefit your organization by:
- Speaking to the effectiveness and efficiency of your organization
- Giving you an opportunity to compare your methods against globally accepted standards, exposing areas of weakness as well as pointing out strengths
- Developing a unified company standard towards continuous improvement of the company and partnering with companies with the same mindset
- Embodying the quality of IT services a company is providing
How do you become ISO 20000 certified?
- First, an initial assessment takes place in order to determine whether your company has properly implemented all the criteria in the standard.
- In phase 2, a second assessment takes place in order to establish the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the system, as well as confirming that the management system is in place and functioning.
- In this phase, your company will be reviewed to see if you have put into place the proposed suggestions given in phases 1 & 2. Based on the state of your processes in this assessment, your company may or may not be recommended for the ISO 27000 certification.
- If you make it to phase 4, your company has been recommended for the certification, and your organization’s files will be evaluated by an independent and impartial board, which will ultimately decide your fate concerning the ISO 27000 certification.
- Congrats! You have achieved your certification, the board will contact you in order to present you with the good news as well as issue your certificate.