Microsoft Teams adoption is surging, as organizations look to keep newly remote workforces productive from anywhere. Having recently eclipsed the 145 million daily user mark, Teams has become a cornerstone in collaboration – housing everything from communications, to files, to critical business insights. And for those leveraging Microsoft Teams, safeguarding data from deletion, corruption and ransomware attack is your responsibility.
It’s never been more important to consider dedicated protection. But what should you look for in a third-party solution? Consider high-efficiency, cost-effective solutions that offer purpose-built controls for Teams (as well as the broader set of Office 365 applications).
4 key considerations for Microsoft Teams backup
- Automation – Handling the massive amounts of application data is cumbersome, and manual data backups simply aren’t feasible for most companies. By having automated workflows in place, your backup operations can run seamlessly in the background – with little human intervention for long-term peace of mind.
- Performance – Today’s organizations need tools that make their lives easier. From pinpointing specific data sets, to recovering data at scale, admins and IT professionals need granular control to locate and restore data, while preserving site structures. Look for solutions that offer robust search capabilities, in-place restore options and broad coverage of Teams data types. This ensures users can get the right data, to the right location, at the right time, with little effort and improved confidence.
- Compliance – With a virtualized global workforce, compliance regulations now span national borders and businesses must pay attention so that their data protection policies remain current. Seek solutions that offer long-term retention and rapid recovery options to meet internal and external SLA compliance.
- Coverage – Exchange, OneDrive and SharePoint need protecting too. Evaluate solutions that offer deep, comprehensive coverage of your entire Office 365 investment – not just Microsoft Teams.
Why you should consider SaaS-delivered backup for Microsoft Teams
SaaS-delivered backup for Teams integrates all of these requirements, while reducing costs and IT burden. Consider SaaS-based protection for:
- Cost Reduction – Rather than purchasing a ton of expensive on-premise equipment, you can avoid ongoing maintenance and hardware repair costs with SaaS-based backup and recovery. With SaaS, application vendors centrally host their solutions and make them accessible in the cloud, so you don’t have to worry about purchasing servers, appliances or storage arrays.
- No-Hassle Upkeep – SaaS doesn’t require you to manage installation or software updates, and maintenance is handled by your SaaS partner. This frees up a large amount of your resources and time to devote to higher priority business tasks.
- Excellent Scalability – As your business grows, your data storage needs can fluctuate widely, leading to potential over- or under-sized storage capacity. Flexible SaaS models can offer unlimited storage built into a transparent per-user subscription, so you can easily scale while only paying for what you need.
- Comprehensive Security – SaaS doesn’t mean sacrifice. Sophisticated cloud solutions offer hardened, enterprise-grade protection against unwarranted access or attack from internal and external threats.
Consider using Metallic Backup for your Microsoft Teams data
Metallic™ Backup for Office 365, from Commvault, offers award-winning data protection with the simplicity of SaaS. Built on Microsoft Azure, Metallic offers comprehensive protection for your entire Office 365 investment, including Microsoft Teams, and is proven to safeguard your data from deletion, corruption and ransomware attack.
Contact our team or visit CDW.ca to discover how Metallic SaaS can handle all your Microsoft Teams data protection needs.
- The Register, “IT blunder permanently erases 145,000 users’ personal chats in KPMG’s Microsoft Teams deployment – memo”, Aug 24, 2020.